Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Experimental blogging

I probably spend a little too much effort into organizing all my posts into categories.  I just decided to go back through the past year and put a bunch of posts into a new category, experiments.

My favorite example is One: the universe's favorite digit.  There I hypothesized that the fundamental constants of the universe are distributed logarithmically, made a prediction, and went out and confirmed that prediction.  It's the scientific method!

Okay, so I'm not exactly doing professional science here, nor am I even blowing stuff up like they do on Mythbusters.  Most of the "experiments" are math experiments.  But they're fun!  I get to participate in the production of new knowledge.  I get to adopt a "look and see" attitude, rather than just making arguments based on my prior beliefs.

0 comments: